>> Guide to craeting the perfect striped lawn
Caring for your Lawn the Atco way
Need UK Delivery
within 24 hours ? Usually no problem, and no
extra charge. For advice
on buying our Cylinder Mowers, call us 7 days
a week on UK Freephone 0800 01 88844
Creating that perfect striped lawn is not difficult, as
long as you use the right equipment and follow these simple
guidlines. The two most important activities are cutting
using a cylinder mower and scarifying. Scarifying by hand
can be quite a hard job, however the free scarifier cassette
we are giving away free with many of the Atco mowers we
sell will certainly help simplify this important task. Atco
is an absolute classic British lawnmower brand - if you
wish to buy a cylinder mower, then these lawnmowers are
very best you can buy. These are the types of machines that
will last generations if looked after properly, and there
are many mowers bought in the 1950s and 60s that are still
1. As a mower runs over a lawn, provided it has a roller,
it forces the grass in one direction and then in the opposite
direction creating stripes. The heavier the mower, the more
defined the stripe.
2. Cylinder mowers accentuate the striping because the grass
is cut in one direction only.
3. Follow a pattern of cutting as illustrated below. Firstly
cut around the perimeter of your lawn to provide a turning
area then cut in straight lines either up and down your
lawn or side to side with each cut slightly overlapping
the previous one.
4. Other patterns can also look effective i.e. diagonal
stripes or a chequer board effect cutting in one direction
and then at right angles.
A Guide to Scarifying
1. Thatch is layers of dead grass and moss which have accumulated
on the surface of the soil and must be removed to maintain
a healthy lawn.
2. There are two approaches to scarifying: i) Remove little
and often from March through to October, except in drought
conditions. ii) A vigorous scarifying in the spring and
3. Scarifying by hand rake is hard work. The Balmoral and
Windsor lawnmowers can be converted into a powered lawn
raker by fitting the QX™ lawn scarifier cassette, making
this task much easier.
4. It is a good idea to apply a moss killer to the lawn
a week or two before scarifying so that the dead moss can
be removed more effectively.
5. Throughout the autumn the QX™ lawn scarifier can be used
to remove light debris from the lawn.
|Are you Outside the UK? - although we are UK-based, we do offer a European, US & worldwide
shipping service. Just add the product to your cart and then select
the delivery country on our cart page - delivery charges are calculated